Wednesday, September 22, 2010

LEO OUR GOOD OLD GRUMP

This is Leo, a happy stray that many people loved in the area where he lived. I got a call from a volunteer, Maria, who had been feeding Leo for the past 15 years. She was very worried about him since his back legs appeared to have started to get very weak. Could I help?

When I met him on a warm afternoon in July, my hopes were not that big. He had lived on the streets for so many years and didn't let anyone touch him. He is street smart and was hiding between the cars when we tried to put frontline on him. He had his territory that was his responsibility, his job, and to take that away from him might sink him into depression.

Nonetheless, a week later we got him to Dr Damiani, and the prognosis wasn't the best for his hips. Its rough being old on the streets when so many other strays want to take over someone's food bowl and space.
Last week, I was happy to call Maria and tell her to bring in Leo to the AWL Hospice, he is a true worthy candidate.

He stole my heart, this grumpy old man who's eyes seem to look through your body. He is not easy to charm, but there is something so wise behind those brown eyes. His mind is fresh and he is very quiet (and deaf).

He hasn't ever been inside a building, so he stays away from the house. Only now, after one week, can I clean his eyes and he even comes up to me when I am at the hospice. He loves the food, only the best is being served and with raw meat, mixed with super vitamins for oldies as well as a painkiller.

(I won't brush him since he will freak out, and that is his protection from being coming cold too. One thing at a time.)

But he is my Amore!




No comments: