Thursday, February 24, 2011

THERE IS NO TIME





Please watch this video. It was made by Todd AWL Nov 2009. Phillipo had been sitting in this cage for 2 years since they said he was aggressive to other dogs (mostly males)

We knew something was not correct. Beautiful Ulla from Sweden flew down to volunteer and said she wanted to adopt him. Here is his story, but please watch the video.



This has been a long journey, and many would have given up. But not we bone-headed ladies of AWL. A client is always a client even if many frustration-tears have washed down our cheeks.





Our great joy when Ulla from Sweden flew down to volunteer and fell in love with Phillipo and said she wanted to adopt him. All our jaws fell open, we were speechless. What a lady! I have known Ulla for many years, thanks to her handsome dog Maxi that had been my client many years ago.
I knew Phillipo would have a great home with Ulla, she is smart and has common sense, and she always wants to learn more. Her background with training dogs is also impressive.

But the long journey only started with her stated desire to adopt him.
The veterinarian that was supposed to inject with rabies vaccination didn't do so even if she said she did. Three months of wasted waiting for results that would never come. I got Phillipo and a male, Scooby, out -don't tell Phillipo that Scooby is a male, according to dog people is he male aggressive.

They were moved to a kennel that was being kept clean but the dogs could not go out. They were closer to our veterinarian and shots and health examinations were being made. Also every second day for a couple of months I would drive to their kennel and walk them for one hour.

Then, I moved them home to my home when Ulla came down for a long weekend and that was a big test, since Phillipo was labeled as dangerous. But he was such a good boy, he ignored them all our other dogs. Ulla got to be with him and even fell in love with our Capri.

It was a difficult decision since she (Capri) had been our dog for 2 years, my husband rescued her from an area shelter and was attached to her. But we always felt guilty because with all of our dogs, she never got the satisfaction of quality time with us. With Ulla I knew she would be having a fantastic time, a great life. I could always get up to date how everything was going, and if it would go bad we could always fly to Sweden and bring her back.

Phillipo and Scooby were moved to another shelter, since the kennel started to have strange opening hours during the day and the heat was horrible for walks. This new shelter was very clean and there was an outdoor facility with a swimming pool for dogs. It was easier to go there and they seemed to be very happy.

Finally when the Great Dane family (8 adults/8 pups) was moved from the hospice, we could move Phillipo and Scooby in and get all the papers done for their passports. Ulla was supposed to fly down and pick them up, but an emergency incident at her work made her not able to. Ulla cried out "Am I never going to get my dogs?"

I couldn't fly out since my husband was in Afghanistan and with 3 dogs and 2 children, who could take care of our 19 dogs at home and 9 dogs at the hospice?

That's when our Tammy walked in and said, "I can fly them to Stockholm!"

I was simply speechless again.

I washed the dogs, took them to the ASL (the kind of agriculture inspectors/dog catchers) to show that all the papers were in order, rabies tests and vaccines, and then 120 days before the blood test was done. Leichaminiosis test is not anything Sweden requires but Italy does, and it is good to know anyway. To the post office to pay the passport fee and ASL visit fee, and the Italian post office can take up to several hours waiting. It's a nightmare!

Then the next day with the dogs (3) and wonderful Patty helped me, handling three dogs and all the papers and fees, it's a complicated thing, not at all simple or stress-free. We went to Dr Damiani who examined and de wormed them one last time, and prepared the health certificate. The next day back to ASL with the dogs, Patty our fantastic volunteer helped me again, and more waiting, paperwork a new examinations of all three dogs, we finally got the stamps: OK to departure!

I put the three cages together, all the while nervous that one screw would be missing, or something else would happen. I couldn't sleep.

Cleaned out my SUV loaded with cages, had the SUV go through a health check since Deb and Tammy would drive up and fly out from Rome. Filled it with gas 100 liter (sigh) and at 07.00 after another sleepless night the ladies came, got their precious cargo and my SUV, and off they drove.

At the airport Tammy had to put the cages together, load them and check them in. What a work! And on top of everything the plane was delayed for
6 hours due to a snow storm in Sweden. We were all sweating!

But at 22.00 my phone beeped... they had arrived and the dogs had been such traveling-troopers.


You are so many involved in this long this story and if I forget a name please forgive me. It took us one full year to bring them HOME!

Thank you Ulla for giving them a wonderful home and life, Todd you were also walking with them many times in the shelter and Marco Sanna Kennel, all you volunteers that have been kind to them, me for all the walking and driving J and Tammy who put a dot at this story's end, a happy ending. Thank you, this is big, complicated, long-term Amore. Teamwork!

2 comments:

Ulla said...

I would like to give a big THANK YOU to all that has been involved in Capri & Phillipos journey to Sweden! They are both doing so well, they are calm and loving, sleeps when they are alone in the house and behave very good at work. An extra big THANK YOU to Todd, Mia and Rosella for letting me adopt these wonderful dogs, and Tammy for bringing them here. That's Amore and I love you all!

Mother in Action said...

OK I am crying!