She had a puppy in the car that she had just found on the beach trying to suck milk from her dead mother. Many of the beach-front businesses will put poison-laced dog food out on the beach to "control" the stray population. We can only assume that is what happened here, because the lady said the mother had clearly been poisoned, due to the way she looked when found. It was a slow, painful death.
Can you imagine the little one, his tiny stomach knotting from hunger, desperately trying to get the nurishment his instinct tells him should be gotten from his mother? And there she is, her dead teet providing nothing. Simply heartbreaking!
We decided on the spot that AWL could de-worm and put frontline on him, and wonderful Guilia took him to her little shelter. He is up for adoption. Please, can you give him hope?